In the Yucatan peninsula this famous Pork and Beans is said to be mostly eaten on Monday. Similar to the well known brazilian feijoada, this dish is very satisfying and easy to prepare, although time consuming to make; to save time of course you can also resort to using the already cooked canned black beans, but don't let the purists know!
* 2 lb. black beans
* 2 lb. tenderloin or pork shanks, cut into pieces
* 1 lb. pork ribs
* 1 lb. Chorizo sausages
* 2 sprigs of epazote
* 1 big white onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon lard
* 2 lb. green tomatoes, chopped
* 10 radishes, finely chopped
* 1/2 packed cup, chopped cilantro
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 3 limes, quartered
* Chiltomate, the hot red Yucatecan sauce
For The black rice:
* 2 cups of uncooked white rice
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped, and drained
* 1 red bell pepper, diced
* 3 cups of the bean broth resulting from cooking the beans in step 1
* Salt to taste
1) The day before, wash the beans very well, then make them soak in water overnight. The next day, pour the soaked beans in a covered pot, with plenty of water. The moment the water starts to boil, reduce heat setting make the beans simmer for an hour. After this hour has passed, take three cups of the dark broth from cooking the beans and reserve for later.
2) Adding the meat: when the beans are half cooked, add a tablespoon of salt and the epazote.
Fry the onion in butter until dark brown, add red tomatoes and fry for two minutes, then pour these to the pot with the beans along with the meat and chorizo sausages, adding back more water if necessary then letting it cook until the meat is very cooked and falls apart.
Cook this for a few minutes and add the rice (which is already cooked), the beans and the (already cooked) meat. Mix well.
3) Making the black rice: fry the onion in the butter, add the rice and fry until the rice browns, add the tomatoes; fry everything well, add the red pepper, black bean broth and season with salt to taste; cover the pan and set the heat to low. Boil about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
Serve the beans with pork in soup bowls, accompanied by a cup of rice, radishes, cilantro and chopped onion and chiltomate to taste.