Potato Croquettes with Chicharron (Tortitas de papa con chicharrón)
A mexican appetizer recipe for fried croquettes made with mashed potatoes mixed with butter, chicharrón and egg. The croquettes are then fried in oil until they are golden brown.
| Yield: about 24 croquettes | Preparation: | Cooking time: | Total time: | | by: admin
Recipe for Croquettes with potatoes and chicharron
* 4 cups mashed potatoes, still warm
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 egg, beaten
* 3/4 cup pork chicharron, chopped
* 1 cup flour
* Salt, to taste
* Enough canola oil to fry them
1) Mix the mashed potatoes with butter and egg until smooth, but not too creamy. Mix the flour with the chicharrón and add to the potato mixture. Season with salt if desired.
2) Shape small balls with this mixture, about the size of golf balls, roll them in a plate with the breadcrumbs; then place on a slightly floured surface, then gently flatten them a bit to shape them as patties, just under 2 inches wide.
3) Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Deep fry the croquettes until they are evenly browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. As an alternate way you can to cook these would be baking them in the oven at 375 ˚F for 25 minutes.