Looking for a different kind of mexican burrito, to change from the usual beef or ubiquitous chicken recipes? Try a nice burrito with fish tonight for a healthy mexican dish... also quite easy to make as are most burritos! These burritos are mostly found in Baja California...
* 8 Wheat Flour Tortillas
* Oil for frying
* 1/2 onion
* 2 lb. [1 kg] white fish meat, from fish such as red snapper or cod
* Salt and pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 pinch dried oregano
* 4 cloves garlic
* 1/2 cup liquid fish stock or water with a fish stock cube
* Juice from 1/2 lemon
* 2 ripe red tomatoes, diced coarsely
* Bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
* 2-3 lettuce leaves, chopped into thin strips
* Grated Monterey Jack
* Lemon wedges, to serve
Red salsa for this:
- 3 chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 3-4 fresh green chiles, jalapeno or serrano type, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3-4 scallions, chopped
1) Blend all the ingredients from the red salsa list above; pour to a pot and simmer for a few minutes while you will be executing the next operations.
2) Put the fish in a pan, season with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic. Pour the fish broth in.
3) Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove the saucepan from the burner and let the fish cool down in the broth for about 30 minutes.
4) Take the fish out from the broth with a slotted spoon; shred the fish to small bits. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
5) Fry the flour tortillas in a non-stick pan with a few drops of oil, sprinkling a few drops of water while hot. Stack them on a plate and wrap the stack in a clean cloth while heating the others.
6) Arrange some shredded lettuce at the center of a tortilla, place some fish over it, sprinkle some grated cheese, some chopped cilantro then some tomatoes. Pour some salsa over it and roll the burrito up. Repeat with remaining tortillas and serve immediately with lemon wedges.