Chorizo and potatoes is another very common, delicious and almost magical combination of mexican ingredients used to easily prepare great empanadas; in fact this amazing combination is also frequently used in tacos, enchiladas, tortas and in many other dishes from sunny Mexico...
* Ready-made sheets of dough for empanadas
* 2 big potatoes
* 2 bell pepper
* 4 onions
* 1 lb. Mexican chorizos
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* Salt to taste
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 beaten egg
* 2 egg yolks (more if necessary)
1) Peel the potatoes then set them to boil until they become soft. Drain, then mash the potatoes down completely.
2) Secondly, chop the onions and bell peppers into very small bits, when this is done, put everything in a large skillet with oil, and simmer the vegetables for 20 minutes; after this cut the chorizo and add to the vegetables and cook a few minutes, while breaking them up to small bits; careful not to cook the chorizos too much; the meat will finish cooking in the oven; pour the mashed potatoes over and mix thoroughly, season with cumin and salt to your taste.
3) Preheat the oven to 375 ˚F. We now lay down one of the sheets of the empanada dough, place it on a greased baking tray, then spread the stuffing we did in the first step, trying to spread it as evenly as possible on a half of the dough.
4) After, spread the beaten egg over the edges of the still opened dough as this will help sealing the empanadas. Fold the dough to close and seal by pressing on the edges, then print a pattern on the edges with a fork.
5) Brush the closed empanadas with the egg yolks. Finally we put the baking tray in the oven in the oven at 375 ˚F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the empanadas are nice and golden.